Monday, February 13, 2012

Gary Zimmerman
January 12, 1948 - February 5, 2012
This weekend was the funeral service for my grandpa who went home to be with the Lord the Sunday prior. It was a great and memorable service. I had the opportunity to sing a song and read a poem I wrote the day after my grandpa passed away. Here is the poem . . .

Entering the Gates of Heaven

The day had rapidly approached
When the Lord was to call him home.
His life on earth was finished
And it was time to let him go.
Sharing hugs and kisses --
We said our tearful goodbyes.
“I love you. I love you forever.” Is what he spoke into my ear.
Words that mean the world to me,
And I will hold in my heart forever.
Tears flowed down each face
As we sat there by his side . . .
Waiting for the moment --
The instant he would breathe his final breath.
The time was coming fast,
And I often wonder if he could start to hear the angels sing.
God was preparing a place for him --
A place inside of heaven’s gates.
I’m sure he’d share in tears of joy
As he’d meet his loved ones who had gone on before.
His journey on earth was over,
But the best had yet to come.
His turn to meet Jesus was here,
And God welcomed him with arms open wide.
Then he led him through the pearly gates,
And walked with him through the streets of gold.
I can only imagine the smile on his face
When he ran into the arms of God.
“Welcome home, my child. Well done.”
This I’m sure God said to him.
He left behind a great example
For us all to see and follow.
On earth his faith had been so strong,
And he loved the Lord with all his heart.
He once had told me to live my life
So that others can see God’s love.
He did his best to live for Christ,
And encouraged others to trust in God.
Although we are saddened by our loss,
We may rejoice because we know
One glorious day we will see him again,
And be with him in heaven.
Now he watches from up above,
And in our hearts we can feel his love.
I will never forget what a great man he was.
I will love you forever . . .
My grandpa.

No comments:

Post a Comment